I have been using BSNL Broadband for 3 years now. I want to share my experience and provide some useful tips as well. Currently i have the Rs 500 per month plan which offers a bandwidth range of 256 kbps to 2 mbps. And if we use the default IP address 192.168.1.1 the speed doesnt go beyond 50 KB/s. I usually use Limewire and Bitcomet client applications for downloading purposes. As of late I’ve stopped using Bitcomet altogether since Limewire has come up with an option to download torrents too. These are the steps I followed and you can follow to increase download speed for Limewire/Bitcomet:
- Do not use default IP address 192.168.1.1
- Set up a static IP address.
- Go to the router page by typing the url http://192.168.1.1.
- Enter username and password as admin.
- Click on “Virtual Server”under “Advanced” on the router page.
- Type the name of the application in the box. (Limewire or Bitcomet or any other name)
- Type the static IP address in the box below.
- Select protocol type as TCP.
- Now type the port number that you would like to forward.
- Port number 6882 is recomended for Bitcomet and for Limewire any other number below 61000.
- Click “Apply” and restart the router.
Now you need to configure the port settings for Limewire/Bitcomet
- Open Limewire and goto Tools->Options->Advaced->Firewall Config.
- Check the radio button “Manual Port forward” and type the port number that you typed into the settings on router page.
- Type the same number on “Listen on port” option.
- Save and restart Limewire.
You will see a big difference now. The download speed will improve and the firewall will be off for Limewire since that port is forwarded. You can follow similar steps for Bitcomet.
Posted by Satish Iyer